A well-written resume is the first step toward landing your dream job. However, it can be challenging to know what to include and what to leave out. To help you create a standout resume, we have compiled a list of dos and don’ts from hiring managers. These tips will guide you in highlighting your relevant skills and experiences and avoiding common mistakes that can hurt your chances of being selected for an interview. By following these guidelines, you can create a resume that impresses hiring managers and increases your chances of success in your job search.
- Tailor your resume to the job you’re applying for. Make sure to highlight skills and experiences that are relevant to the position.
- Use bullet points to break up information and make it easy to read.
- Include quantitative data to demonstrate your accomplishments, such as sales figures, project completion rates, or other metrics.
- Be specific about your achievements and responsibilities in each role.
- Use action verbs to describe your accomplishments and responsibilities, such as “managed,” “created,” or “achieved.”
- Proofread your resume carefully to avoid typos and grammatical errors.
- Keep your resume concise and focused, ideally fitting on one or two pages.
- Don’t use overly fancy fonts or formatting. Keep it simple and easy to read.
- Don’t include irrelevant personal information, such as your hobbies or political affiliations.
- Don’t include references on your resume. These can be provided later in the hiring process.
- Don’t use generic language or cliches, such as “team player” or “self-starter.” Instead, be specific about your skills and accomplishments.
- Don’t lie or exaggerate your qualifications or experience. This will almost certainly be discovered during the hiring process and can damage your chances of getting the job.
- Don’t include irrelevant work experience, especially if it’s from a long time ago. Focus on recent and relevant experience.
- Don’t rely on templates or pre-made resumes. Create a unique and tailored resume that showcases your skills and experiences.
By following these dos and don’ts, you can create a strong and effective resume that will catch the attention of hiring managers and increase your chances of landing your dream job.